julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Incredible Race - dysonrules Are you kidding? A Drarry story where Harry and Draco participate in the wizarding version of The Amazing Race?! There was definite squeeing when I found this story yesterday.

And I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that the experience of reading it lived up to the excitement I felt after reading the blurb.

Everything about this story was just so much fun. Ron and Hermione host viewing parties that let us see what the audience sees, so we get their commentaries plus whoever they've got over (Neville, Luna and Ginny were all there in different configurations on different nights), and it's hilarious to get to hear their reactions. It's 100% like what my experience watching the real show was like (cheering for the teams of hot guys to stay on as long as possible; hoping the catty, bitchy ones screw up; etc.) and I couldn't help but laugh out loud several times.

And then we get to be in either Harry's or Draco's head for parts of the actual race. And that was just fantastically fun. Right from the start in this story they're both attracted to each other, but are still antagonistic enough to be horrified at the thought of the other finding out. Getting to watch them slowly relax around each other until they become friends and then more was perfectly-paced and so, so well done.

And the race itself? Fantastic! The author left notes after each chapter about all of the research she'd done into the various countries so that the challenges were all accurate, and it totally made me want to go look up some of these places!

Overall, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun reading a story. Everything about this totally clicked for me. All I can say is that I wish there were more! I'd love to get to see the first time Harry brings Draco over to Ron and Hermione's. I'd love to see the first time Draco brings Harry home with him. I just want to see more of them!

Favorite Quotes:
Ron snorted. "I'll bet even Malfoy can out-sharpish Norton."

Malfoy's running style resembled that of a cheetah, effortless-looking and ground-eating. Harry felt like a stampeding warthog next to him.

Malfoy looked surprisingly sexy in Muggle gear. Not sexy, Harry revised quickly. Passable. Just passable. Fuck.

Next there was Snoring Man, who had fallen asleep immediately upon reaching his seat and quickly began to snore like a foghorn. Draco had surreptitiously awakened him twelve times by kicking the back of his seat, despite Potter's admonishments. The quiet never lasted for long. If only Draco had his wand; he would silence the cretin permanently.

Obviously they had wised up and gone somewhere less arid and death-inducing.

"I love this show," Ron said happily.

"The dark-haired one is a pure-blood. I thought I recognized her. I've seen her at some of my mother's functions. She has a very old bloodline."
"Like a poodle?" Potter asked dryly.

"Huh, Muggle. I wouldn't have guessed."
"Which is why you aren't allowed to answer, Potter," Draco said.

"Harry isn't... And Malfoy? I mean... Malfoy? Even if Harry was... was..." Ron shut his jaw with effort. Oh god, Harry was. It was so obvious.

"You know," he said conversationally, "I think I'd like it if you called me Harry. At least while I'm sucking your cock, yeah?"