julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Red - Belinda McBride I've made no secret of how much I just absolutely adore these m/m retellings of fairy tales, so when I saw the prompt and summary for this one, it immediately jumped to the top of my tbr list.

Reading it was an interesting experience. We jump right into the story in Red's head and get to see through his eyes for a while what this dystopian world is like before we're told any of the back story. I actually found myself totally enjoying this approach, as it allowed me to try to guess and draw conclusions of my own rather than being fed the information through the typical info-dump.

The most delightful part of the experience of reading this, though, was that for maybe 70% of the story, I still wasn't entirely clear on who was what and how the pieces fit together. I was just about to reach the point were I sighed in frustration and decided that there was simply too much here trying to be stuffed into a novella and that the dots simply hadn't all been connected. And then poof! Red makes one comment, and suddenly all the pieces fit together, all the dots connect, and I'm left a little stunned with awe at how brilliantly it was all done.

A very, very fun reading experience. Plus, how can you not love a story where Red actually IS the wolf? Brilliant! 4.5 stars rounded up for being free.