julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Dirty Little Secret - Ella Sheridan Very like a m/m version of [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358275334s/2767052.jpg|2792775] but with aliens, sex, and mate-claiming instead of killing.

The beginning is rather jarring, as we're dropped into the arena with Shane, who immediately starts talking about all of these species of aliens and things he learned during training, but we still don't know why he's there or what it's for. And the Hunger Games comparison only gets you so far... as soon as Shane tells us that the melee at the start is an orgy instead of a bloodbath the similarities become fewer and fewer.

Once Shane has a chance to explain a little more about why he's there, and we get to meet a few of the fascinating felines the hunt is for, the story became thoroughly engrossing and was very fun to read. The setting is beautifully described, and fits the idea of what a planet inhabited by sentient humanoid feline aliens should be like.

I honestly finished this wishing it were part of a series. I'd love to spend more time on that planet, either with new characters in the hunt or with Shane in his new home.