julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Something Sweet - Megan Derr Sweet indeed! Delightfully so! I adored both of the MC's, loved the small-town setting--especially the candy shop!--and thought the premise was... well, sweet.

One of my favorite poems is by Sir Edwin Arnold and goes:
"Somewhere there waiteth in this world of ours
For one lone soul another lonely soul,
Each choosing each through all the weary hours,
And meeting strangely at one sudden goal,
Then blend they, like green leaves with golden flowers,
Into one beautiful, perfect whole;
And life's long night is ended and the way
Lies open, onward toward eternal day."

The characters in this short story personify that poem beautifully! They each had a secret crush on the other in high school. And each has unconsciously been preparing himself for the other over the 13 years they were apart. When they meet again in the candy shop, they're both finally ready to be honest with themselves and with each other. So beautiful! And so very sweet! (and I have to add that Basil's inscription ranks among my favorite things done by one MC for another!)

I've long held that Ms. Derr is a genius, and this short story firmly settles her among my favorite authors ever.