julesmarie

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Treasure - Megan Derr This was delightfully good fun. :D

Mermen and dragons and magic and gods, what's not to love? The setting was fantastically well described--no surprises there, it is Megan Derr, after all--and so, so vivid.

I'd been looking forward to reading this series for months--saving it for winter break so I could read all 5 without distractions--so perhaps some slight disappointment was inevitable. I think the thing that surprised me is that I usually feel like I get to know Ms. Derr's characters so much better than I feel like I know any of these 4 men.

I don't know if it was having 4 main characters with two separate romances, or if it was the fact that so many of them were keeping so many secrets from the others, but I wanted to understand them more. Especially Taka. We get glimpses into his reactions to the things that happen to him, but I didn't feel like I ever really connected with him or understood him as well as I wanted to.

Still a very fun read, and I'm looking forward to starting book 2!