julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Bound and Determined - Jane Davitt, Alexa Snow This has been in my TBR shelf for a while now, and I'm not sure why I kept passing it over: it's delightful!

The first half of this book had me smiling and giddy and convinced I'd found another one for my favorites shelf. Owen and Sterling were beautiful together! I understand that, being fictional characters, they actually were made for each other... just these two happen to have been made to fit spectacularly well.

Watching Sterling wear Owen down and convince him to take a chance on them, and then seeing Sterling grow and learn so much about himself because of Owen was beautiful.

The second half of the book, though... I had a really hard time with! We were told many times that Owen is considered an exceptionally skilled Dom, but I don't feel like I ever SAW that. We saw him publically lose Carol, and then it seemed like he just kept screwing up with Sterling over and over.

I guess the thing that makes me the saddest is what could have been their two most special moments were rushed and hurried in what seemed like reactions to outside influences.

Owen choosing to have sex with Sterling in spite of his promise just because Sterling was upset about his family seemed like giving in--in spite of Owen's attempt to justify it. It just seemed to take something that could have been special and cheapen it.

Same with how they finally tell each other they love each other. It shouldn't have happened with Sterling out of his head on painkillers after Kirk (or Kurt, lol--the other Dom) hurt him so bad.

So there were two major things I felt weren't what they ought to have been (yes, I know, personal opinion), and then I couldn't help but feel a little cheated that we didn't get to actually SEE Owen collar Sterling. That just seemed like one more thing I wish had been different.

So, 5+ stars for the first half and maybe 2-ish for the 2nd. How do I sum all of that up into one rating? I still enjoyed the story, and Owen and Sterling really are perfect together, so I think I'll settle on 3.5 rounded up.