julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Red+Blue - A.B. Gayle I still have no idea what possessed me to pick this one up.... I hate politics, and anything at all insurance or numbers-related bores me to the point of unconsciousness.

Whatever planets aligned or full moons were out the day I bought this, I have to say I'm glad I read it. I appreciated the gentle introductions to what I needed to know about the characters' jobs in order to understand them, Having The Bitch tell me what an actuary is while Jason mocked her for telling him something he already knew cracked me up and for a book called Red + Blue, there was delightfully little political discussion of any type.

I'm glad I got to know Ben and Adrian, and was able to read their story. I adored the slow build-up of their relationship and how long it took for them to admit even to themselves how they were feeling about each other. I loved how hot even their first glances were.

I loved the settings also. My brother-in-law is from Minnesota, and so for years I've been hearing about canoeing trips like the one Adrian and Ben took. It was fascinating to get to experience this one with them, and be able to picture more clearly what it must be like.

That being said, though, there were a few things that made me not able to enjoy this as fully as I wanted to at the beginning. I didn't like the way Adrian pulled away from Ben and how he began treating him after they returned from their trip. I understand that Ben being fired was something of a shock for Adrian also, since it was his dad's decision, but it seemed that the way he broke the news was a little too heartless.

And having Ben go back to Adrian begging to be able to be a part of his life--even a secret part--surprised me. Ben had come across to me as much to strong and self-confident a person to ever settle for being someone's shameful little secret.

Adding on top of that Adrian's pathetically cowardly text message, I was to the point where I almost wished Ben would write him off and go find someone who'd actually treat him well.

All in all, this was an enjoyable read. It was very well-written, and it had me engaged and wanting to know more to the point that I stayed up way too late last night.