julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Laurel Heights - Lisa Worrall I had such high hopes for this book, since it seemed to have so many things I usually love: undercover cops falling for each other, the ofy trope, and an interesting antagonist.

I gave up on this one much earlier than I usually do (50/1012 in ibooks), but even by then I'd seen enough to disgust me:

--each of the protagonists is introduced to us leaving their hookups for the night in a spectacularly asshole-ish fashion, making me instantly dislike both of them

--the female work partner of one of the assholes lets herself into his apartment to wake him up and then proceeds to spend the next 10 pages blatantly ogling him while asking if he's sure he's gay. So now I hate her too. Because, honestly? That's supposed to be the way a female police officer behaves? And was this the behavior that made Scott trust her enough to come out to her? Cos, wow, yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

--the last straw, though, was when all four of these charming examples of humanity are at work and being awful to each other under the guise of "banter," this happens:

"Their Captain barked a command from the open doorway of his office. 'Cassidy, Bates, bring your girlfriends in here!'"

That's right. The Captain of a police force just referred to the female partners of two of his officers as their "girlfriends."

That's the point where I just couldn't make myself read any more.