julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Beast - Abigail Barnette There were several things I loved about this book, but it was just so painful to read that I can't give it more than 4 stars.

What I loved: Most of all, I loved that Johanna wasn't magically healed at the end. I know that makes it a lot more like real life and a lot less like a fairy tale, but it absolutely fit the story and I think it made a great statement. The whole book was about learning to live with the consequences of our decisions, so it would have seemed like a total cop-out (for her, but especially for Philipe) to have her magically perfect again.

I also loved the emotion in the story. I loved that neither Johanna nor her brother was willing to just instantly forgive Philipe. It was fascinating to watch as their emotions changed the longer the prince was with them.

However, the emotion is also the thing that made this so difficult for me to read. Being in Johanna's head is not pleasant. She's angry and hurt and bitter at first and it made me uncomfortable to have to read.

Beautifully well-written and true to itself, I would recommend this.