julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Daisy Miller - Henry James I finished this book a few weeks ago, but I wanted to take some time to think about it before writing a review. I kept going back and forth in my head over whether I liked this or not. I finally came down on the side of liking it. A lot.

I love that the narrator, much as he would like to be an interested party at first, presents us with a neutral view of Daisy and of the society that rejects her.

I think I also totally love Daisy, and have been wondering what our world might be like if more people were like her. She was completely fearless. She knew what she wanted and was determined to do the things that made her happy no matter what other people thought or said. True, part of that might be that she'd never been taught that there was a different way to go about life (there were times I wished I could shake her mother), but I've been wondering if she had had that teaching if it would have made any difference.

It was unexpected and refreshing to read about a woman of those times who didn't let herself be bound by the expectations of society. Definitely recommended.