julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Black Heart Down - S.J. Frost I put off reading this one for forever. The blurb made it sound like I'd be having to read about cheating--which i hate! Or at the very least I'd have to stand around with Robbie while his closeted boyfriend flirts with women to keep up his heterosexual image--which i also hate. I should have had more faith in Ms. Frost and her world-building (at least in this series) than to think she'd have either her characters or her readers suffer that much.

The problems between Robbie and Kyler were real problems, like you get in real relationships. But it wasn't one of them being a dick to the other and him just taking it. They both made mistakes, they both, as Evan, i believe, put it at one point, stopped putting their relationship and each other first and lost their way for a while.

But the book wasn't painful to read, as I'd been fearing. It was every bit as hopeful and sweet and optimistic as all of the other books in the series. the only difference being that maybe this one is a little more honest and a little more realistic than the others.

i loved SO much that both Robbie and Kyler made changes in their lives in order to be ready to continue trying to have a relationship. I loved that they both realized that the other person deserved better and decided to take the steps necessary to provide him with that. i loved that a lot of that involved being honest with themselves about a lot of things, too.

I love how Jesse and Evan helped so much, but were able to stay neutral and listen to and support both sides. Seeing their relationship used as the example for all of these others just made me want to go back and re-read their story again.

I think my favorite thing was how much different Robbie and Kyler together felt at the end than at the beginning. at the beginning, especially when they were trying again before the whole waiter's-phone-number incident, it had me feeling like i've felt in doomed relationships--sort of desperate and on-edge, almost just waiting for the other person to screw up so you can have a solid enough excuse to leave and not have to hurt anymore. i LOVED that that feeling was gone at the end. that not only did they SAY that they were leaving the past behind, but that it honestly felt like they had. That was amazingly well done!