julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Take My Picture - Giselle Ellis I LOVED, just absolutely LOVED the first part of this book! The way Jake and Aaron talk just had me cracking up over and over again. I loved how obvious it was to everyone (except them) how perfect they were for each other, how they honestly did complete each other.

After Jake fires Aaron, however, a lot of things just made me either angry or uncomfortable. First, (and I know this may sound silly, but it absolutely pulled me out of the story more than once) we're never told the relative heights or builds of Jake and Aaron, (unless I just missed it, which is entirely possible) so all along I had them pictured in my head as Jake being smaller than Aaron. I guess my assumption was based on the fact that he's so young-seeming when they first meet, and the fact that he's constantly the one seeking reassurance from Aaron. Even the scene when they're reading Milo to sleep, it says that Jake curls up at Aaron's side. Okay, so then, all of a sudden, Aaron shows up at Jake's photography show and now Aaron is physically smaller than Jake to the extent that he crawls in Jake's lap and Jake is able to pick him up and throw him around and stuff.

Second, Matt. He knew Aaron and Jake were in love with each other. It's just so hard for me to buy his whole character. I can't imagine a person both kind-hearted enough and with low enough self esteem that they're willing to let someone pretend to choose them (enough to move in with them!) while they're really in love with someone else.

And finally, while the connection between Aaron and Jake was made beautifully and delightfully clear in the first half of the book, the chemistry wasn't so much. So having them all of a sudden having violent sex for days on end was shocking and uncomfortable and just... odd.

If the book could have ended before Jake fired Aaron, (for example, if Aaron had found Jake on the floor in the bathroom and realized how torn up he was that Aaron was moving in with Matt... idk, ANYTHING to keep that 2nd half from happening) I would have joyfully given this one five stars. But with the weirdness that happened in that 2nd half, the best I can do is 3. I would still absolutely recommend this, just for the first half alone.