julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
A Matter of Time (#2) - Mary Calmes Loved, loved, loved this one! I resented Sam so much in the first book, that it kept me from enjoying it as much as I wanted to. But Sam totally redeemed himself for me in this book. Twice!

I have a very hard time reading books where the mc and the love interest break up and get back together over and over because I've found that I'm often nowhere near as forgiving as the mc is, so I'm still resenting their love interest even when the mc is totally over it and happy. But Sam just completely won me over. Both times. I even found myself more on his side at the end when he's leaving to go undercover. Once he explained his reasons to his mom, it made perfect sense why he had to go, and I kind of wanted to crawl right in the book and help Jory accept it.

And aargh, I just totally hate Maggie! Which makes me thoroughly appreciate Ms. Calmes' writing for getting me so emotionally attached to these two that anyone who tries to mess with them immediately makes my most-hated list. Maybe Maggie needed a friend like Jory was to Nick--someone to ask her things like "Why don't you have more self-confidence?" I mean, staying with a man who after 4 months has has sex with you one time? Wouldn't you start to clue in that something's wrong BEFORE you meet his gay lover? And then for her to take it out on Jory by agreeing to set things up for him to be kidnapped... I did not see that one coming. It stretched credibility a little that she would be THAT resentful, but it sure did make for a great story.

And Dane! I'm amazed at the depth of so many of these characters. Dane is just a remarkable person, and I'm so glad that he and Jory have each other to take care of. I understand how it could get repetitive having Dane introduced the same way in every scene he's in, but to me it just served to further demonstrate how big Jory's heart is.

I seriously loved this! It was worth putting up with Sam in the first book to get to read this one. I just hope that the last two don't make me hate him again.