julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Shenandoah - Ally Blue Ugh. So I gave the first book in the series two stars on the hope that this one would fill in some pretty major holes. It didn't. It just added new ones.

The setting for these books is earth in an indeterminate future after "Mother Earth" has taken vengeance on humanity wiped out most of the humans and all technology. The remaining humans seem to be divided into three categories: nomads, cannibals and "tribes." Neither book explains why some humans resorted to cannibalism while the others survived by farming or hunting. Nor is it ever explained why the non-cannibalistic humans call their villages "tribes" or why their soldiers are known as the "pack."

I was hoping the second book would explain things like why they're called pack, why the members of the pack choose animal names for themselves, how pack members are chosen, why it seems that some of the pack members have almost supernatural abilities (like Bear's super-human scenting ability), or why pack members need to have sex with each other in order to create and maintain a "bond" that is never explained.

All this book did was have us follow Bear and Dragon, whom we never get to know much more than we did in the first book when all we saw was them having sex. They spend the first half of this book either having sex or not speaking to each other for one reason or another--none of which are very well explained. And the second half one or the other is injured or sick so they're still not speaking.

I kept slogging through, hoping that somewhere along the way some of this would be explained. Unfortunately, I just kept having to watch as these characters I don't really know well enough to care about face one calamity after another until they're magically rescued. (Most of the calamities and the how it is that the human race evolved these magics are also never explained.)

Very frustrating book. And very frequently horribly disgusting, as the cannibals and other various things are described in vivid detail. I chose this for the pretty cover and the awesome series title and premise. I wish I hadn't, and recommend avoiding these.