julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
A Werewolf's Soldier - Kayley Scott I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this one. I'm still not entirely sure what I think now that I'm finished.

What I liked:
--I liked that we got to meet both Josh and Tuck at the beginning of the book. I felt like both of their characters were established well.

--The writing was good. Descriptions of things were beautiful (or horrific, depending...) and vivid, and I definitely felt drawn into the world.

--I liked that we were given a good enough background for Josh that I felt like I could understand where he was coming from. I like how tough he is, and how brave and determined.

What I didn't like:
--Josh feels almost schizophrenic. And now that I'm thinking about it, I think it's because we spend so much time looking at him from Tuck's pov. Josh is a big, tough warrior, and he's fearless and resourceful and (I'm assuming, from the bit at the beginning) an excellent leader. And it makes sense that he'd like to find one person in the world who can make him feel taken care of. It's only when we see him through Tuck's eyes, and Tuck calls him "little one" and is constantly surprised by Josh's courage or abilities, and treats him so delicately that Josh seems to become a different, weaker person.

--I wish we'd found out more about how the wolves live. I'm left with questions like why is the council so scary? Why can no human know about them, yet their den mother is human? Do the female wolves have any say over what they do with their lives, or is having babies their only choice? I'm hoping that since this is the first book of a planned series, we will find out more about stuff like this.

--The more I think about it, the less I like the way Tuck treated Josh. The person who loves us should see us more clearly than we see ourselves, no? Yet, when Tuck looks at Josh, it seems like all he sees is his new sub, so he's constantly underestimating Josh and is therefore constantly surprised when his "little one" can do all of the amazing things that a soldier with Josh's training is able to.

Okay, so final thoughts: fascinating world, with a lot of potential. I'm hoping that the next books explore the world a little more and get closer to reaching that potential.