julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Domination - Chris Owen, Jodi Payne Absolutely beautiful. This book was amazing. I was a little saddened when I found out that all of the books in this series were about Tobias and Noah, because there were such interesting characters introduced in the first book, I'd hoped to be able to get their stories as well. However, one of the things that makes this book amazing is that we're still getting the stories of all of those fantastic side characters, but we also got to know both Tobias and Noah so much better.

I LOVED how the relationship between the mc's developed in this one. I love that they both opened up and trusted the other with more of their past and of the things that have made them into the men they are. And I'm honestly shocked, after reading this book, that anyone could be surprised that they'd bring Phan into their relationship. I think that even if I hadn't accidentally found out that was going to happen a few books from now, I would be wishing for it--for all three of their sakes. That scene with the three of them together was AMAZING, and then getting to be in Noah's head for another chapter so he could tell us about the talk that he and Phan had was just so sweet and so beautiful.

I do like that Noah and Tobias are getting time to be together just the two of them first, though. Tobias and Phan have such a history, that I think Noah needs the time alone with Tobias to be confident enough to accept Phan. But Noah and Phan together? WOW! Adorable and sweet and oh so very hot!

I think the most remarkable thing about this book--certainly my favorite thing about it--is the honesty and the communication between and among the characters. Nobody tries to hide anything or to avoid talking about anything. They're mature enough to recognize when they need help and they ask for it. They're brave enough to recognize when someone else needs help and they give it (whether that help is appreciated at the time or not). The scene where Noah uses the bell ball to stop Tobias because he can tell that Tobias is in his own head too much was amazing. In all of the BDSM books I've read so far (which, granted, isn't all that many) that was the first example of a sub truly taking care of their Dom that I've come across. Noah is amazing that he's got the presence of mind to see that in Tobias and then has the courage to stop what's happening and get him to talk about it. I think I've said this like 3 or 4 times just in this review, but these two are amazing! I've been wondering if it's because they're all part of "the scene," they feel like they don't have anything else really to hide? Or the trust necessary to either submit to someone or to accept their submission necessitates absolute honesty? (Or that this is fantasy, and these authors are simply remarkably gifted at creating real, vivid, believable characters who treat each other with honesty and consideration? :P)

Whatever the reason, I loved that their honesty, trust, and communication let Tobias and Noah fulfill each others' D/s needs while at other times letting them also be equal partners and lovers. The scene at the beginning where Noah eventually uses Tobias's name is one of the most amazingly sweet and beautiful and tender and romantic scenes I've come across. It was fascinating to me how they were able to let themselves be like that and then were able to do things like the parking lot scene that Tobias set up. These two are amazing! The secondary characters are also fabulously well-drawn and equally amazing. And the best thing is that this is only book 2 of 5, so I get to go spend more time with all of them!