julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Pulse and Prejudice - Colette L. Saucier So I picked this one up on a lark, my thought process being something along the lines of "Mr. Darcy as a vampire? This I gotta see." I never expected it to actually be good.

And it was, for the most part, really good. The story is the same as Pride and Prejudice, but told mostly from Mr. Darcy's pov, so it was fresh and interesting. The vampire aspect was delightfully woven in, and I appreciated that the vampires were of the more traditional variety even if Mr. Darcy's frequent insistence that he only drank animal blood and was therefore not dangerous did often stray a little too close to Twilight for my comfort

The writing was good, even though I frequently found myself wondering if Ms. Saucier wrote with a thesaurus handy. I didn't know that so many synonyms for "stoic" existed....

I also had a very hard time with the part of the book that happened after the end of the original book. It started to seem like Elizabeth was straying out of character when she made them keep their courtship secret from everyone. Her reasons seemed silly and insubstantial and just very un-Elizabeth-Bennet-like.

The one that lost this book at least a star, if not more, was that both Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy strayed so far out of character that they had sex before their wedding. Neither of them seem the sort to flout expectations that flagrantly, and reading that she felt "not shame but a sense of freedom for having broken through that final barrier to autonomy," seemed so ridiculously out of character that if I weren't so close to the end I would have stopped reading right there.

Overall, this was a fun read. I would absolutely recommend it (up until it continues past where the original book ends, anyway) for lovers of the original book, especially if they also enjoy vampire mythology.