julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
A Hard Dazed Knight (Love is Always Write) - J.J. Cassidy I'd read some of the negative reviews, so I wasn't expecting much when I started this one. I HAD to read it, though, simply because of the title and the Renaissance-fair setting.

I did end up enjoying it more than I thought I might. Yes, the same things that bothered the other reviewers still bothered me (if Simon had maybe just been flirting with the fried-twinky guy, I would have been much more comfortable with everything. Simon's comment at the end where he tells Jay "it should have been you I was with, not some random twink," I think was meant to make us feel better about Simon and his actions, but it just ended up frustrating me and making me like him less.) And the comparing of Simon's noises during sex to the horse was disturbing.

But, perhaps since I'd gone into the story anticipating those things, I was able to see past them and find some parts to the story that thoroughly entertained me. I loved the scene where Jay gets heckled for stealing lines from Shakespeare and turns it back on the heckler by berating him for not liking The Bard.

I'm still a little confused about one thing, though. At the beginning, Jay is on Goliath, and it sounds like Jay and Simon are supposed to be doing a jousting show, like that there's an audience and everything. So I thought Jay went to get Simon so they could do the show, and then all of a sudden they're fighting in the middle of the fair and rolling in the mud, and then they're going back to their trailer. Did I imagine the audience at the beginning? I can't be bothered to go back and check...

Anyway, so overall, I thought this was fun. I loved the behind-the-scenes feel that some of the scenes had, and the bits we got to see of the fair were fun. Simon and Jay were indeed hot together, but I was still a little put off by Simon and twinky-boy to really appreciate it.

2.5 stars, rounded up for being free.