julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Healer - Cassandra Gold So, I'd decided to give up on this one at 20%. I wasn't connecting with either of the characters, the story that I'd had such high hopes for seemed to have been abandoned in favor of watching the doctor stock supply shelves in the infirmary for eight hours, and I certainly wasn't feeling the attraction between Cam and Tristan--no matter how much they tried telling me it was there.

When I came to move this to my dnf shelf, however, I couldn't help noticing all of the positive reviews, and read a few that mentioned that most of the action is in the second half/near the end of the book. So, I decided to give this another chance.

I'm so glad I did! The other reviewers were right, the story I'd been hoping for when I read the blurb really does start happening in the second half of the book. I'd been fascinated by the different abilities and I wanted to see them in action (whether in training or in use for real didn't matter--as long as I wasn't having to sit with Tristan through another day in that damned infirmary! ugh!)

I did finally feel like I connected with the characters. I'd expected to adore Tristan, since I have a total thing for healers and for empaths, so I was surprised to discover that it was Cam that I sympathized with the most. I know other reviewers describe him as a jerk or an asshole, but I totally get his reluctance to trust and his crippling fear of rejection and abandonment. And I love that he was able to start overcoming those things and to trust Tristan with his secrets.

I also LOVED what their relationship was able to grow into. How they loved each other enough that--even though they were technically not together at the time--they were both willing to give their life for the other. And it was so beautiful that they were able to save each other.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last 70% of this book, and I'm very glad I kept going. I'm excited that there's more to this series!