julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Dance in the Dark - Megan Derr Megan Derr never ceases to amaze me. She can consistently create worlds and characters that both fascinate and enthrall me. And she does it in just about every sub-genre possible.

I adored Dance with the Devil, but it had been long enough since I'd read that that I was afraid I'd have a hard time with this one, so I kept putting this one off. I'm not sure what made me finally give in and open this one the other night, in spite of my goal to go back and re-read the other one first, but I'm so very glad I did.

This one is set in the same world as the first book, and we do get to see Chris and Sable for a scene, and some of the minor characters from the first appear here, but I didn't need to remember much beyond that. The main characters in this one are all different, and most of the action happens on the opposite coast from the first.

I think one of my most favorite things about this series is the world. Huge and intricate and filled with all of my favorite elements all in one world: witches, shifters, vampires, angels, demons, sorcerers, and fairy tales coming true. It's fantastic fun and just the most amazing ride as I wonder where I'll be taken next or what sort of being or creature I'll get to meet next.

And the fact that I'm being shown this world through the eyes of wonderfully delightful characters just adds to the experience. Even though I'd guessed a few things pretty early on in the book, getting to live in that world and spend time with those characters was such a delightful experience that I just sat back and waited to see how everything would unfold.

Fantastic good fun!