julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Criss Cross - Jordan Castillo Price The first time I read this one, I got so frustrated wanting to know what was happening NOW. Poor Victor's life in this one is going from crazy to crazier and from bad to worse, and I just wanted things to stop being bad. I'm so glad I reread this one, because the second time through I was able to relax and enjoy the story since I knew what was happening and how everything would work out. But I didn't just enjoy the story--I totally LOVED it!

I loved getting to see more of Victor's abilities in action. I loved the new characters we met (especially Crash! I hope he's in the next books too!). I loved the progress in Vic and Jacob's relationship. I loved the extra little oomph the story got by having the whole Criss Cross Killer storyline--it made it just that extra little bit scary and freaky.

And I still loved the things I loved in the first book. I adore Victor's voice, and I absolutely sympathize with the way he sees the world. But I also loved the development that we were able to see in him. That he recognizes he's not very observant and makes efforts to work on that so that he and Jacob feel more equal. That he's honest enough with himself to know the things he needs to share and the things he should keep to himself for a while. That he's able to see more now why Jacob would be interested in him--which also helped me see it more.

The only thing (and such a tiny thing that it's not enough to make me give less than 5 stars) is that I wish I'd been able to see Victor's abilities under normal circumstances. We jump right in in the first book to him not being able to talk with the ghosts because of special circumstances, and then in this one his abilities are heightened because of more special circumstances. I just wish I had a little baseline against which I could compare all of this instead of having to rely on Vic telling me how things "usually" are.

As I said, though, not enough to take off a star. This series is fascinating, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here!