julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Gypsies - T.A. Chase So, a series with the titles "Gypsies," "Tramps" and "Thieves?" How could I resist? Not only that, but the premise sounded fascinating.

Unfortunately, for me at least, it didn't live up to its promise. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but there was a juvenility to the writing that managed to trivialize all of the events that happened. Percy was kidnapped, raped, and forced to use his magic until his abilities were burnt out. And yet the way all of this is discussed--even by Percy--makes it seem like not such a big deal.

There were also some inconsistencies with the characters that pulled me out of the story. At the beginning, Alden is so overprotective of Percy that he sends Percy upstairs to rest when the bar gets too crowded. Later, after everything that happens to Percy, Percy says he wants to stay upstairs to avoid the giant crowd that will be in the bar that night and Alden tells him "I'll drag your ass down here, so don't even thing about reneging on your offer" to help wait tables that night....

And Percy and Alden have supposedly been friends for 15 years or whatever, but Percy just finds out along with us that Alden has no idea who his parents are. I understand that Percy's supposed to be self-involved, but not asking about the guy you're supposedly in love with's family for over 15 years?

Anyway, so there were some things I didn't like. There were also some things I did--hence the two stars. I liked the setting--very much. The bar was easy to picture, and the world of the Beasors and their ability to travel to different universes still fascinates me, and may even be enough to entice me to try the 2nd book so I can get to see more of it and spend more time there.