julesmarie

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Stone Rose - Megan Derr 3.5 stars

This one was much more heavily weighted toward the fantasy end of the spectrum rather than the romance like the first two. In fact, the various couples only spend maybe 5% of the book actually being together amidst all of the kidnapping and chasing and rescuing.

That's not what made me enjoy it less, however. In fact, much of the story I was more enthralled with than the first two books, the traveling and the new country to explore and the new characters were fascinating. Especially having a strong female character--I enjoyed that more than I anticipated I would. I also really did like Culebra, Dario, and Midori for the most part... Much as I wish I'd gotten to see more of them together.

What made me enjoy it less was how it ended. The first two books had spectacularly romantic endings, with the various couples firmly settled and apparently getting to spend eternity being together. It really bothered me how unsettled this ending was.

Dario and Midori are still mortal, for one thing. And then to have Culebra actually come right out and virtually call the three of them a HFN made me sad and frustrated. I know that being in Midori's head when he said it and having him recognize Culebra had only said it out of pain was supposed to help... but it didn't.

I really hope we get to see more of these three in the next books so we can see how they're doing. Because right now I'm not at all convinced they'll still be together or happy.