julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Mending Noel - Charlie Cochet This story was adorable! Tim is the biggest sweetheart, Noel is the perfect crochety Scrooge-like character for a sweet redemption-themed Christmas fairy-tale, the setting was fascinating, and I appreciated that it explored some fairly heavy themes in such a light-hearted way.

I wasn't sure about Tim and Noel at the start--Noel's just such an enormous ass that it's hard to want him to end up with Tim. But getting to be in his head and to understand him a little more was fascinating and made me totally fall in love with him. I also appreciate how much he really cares about Tim and wants to take care of him.

The setting reminded me a lot of Jet Mykles's [b:Reindeer Games|9783738|Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)|Jet Mykles|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1291513282s/9783738.jpg|14673577] series, especially with the reindeer who are really elves. Having them actually be military-esque airplane pilots under the command of the formidable Jack Frost was a unique and fascinating twist.

I was also fascinated by the way the story explored homophobia in this setting. It was an interesting contrast to have cookie- and toy-making elves dealing with such serious issues, but I thought it said some interesting things about them.

Very fun story overall. One that might get added to my yearly holiday must-read list.