julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Secrets - Adrienne Wilder Second books in series are often hard for me to read. Things are just getting started, frequently I'm just getting to know the characters and there are still more questions being raised than answered. That was the same here too.

It was good to get to spend time with Darwin and Peter again, but not only do I still not feel like I understand Peter, I feel like I understand Darwin less than I did at the end of book 1. I do still totally adore the two of them together, though, and can't wait to get to know them better.

Darwin's voice and his snark continue to be my favorite things in these stories.

Some favorite quotes:

I tried not to give Peter doe eyes. Really I did. I was here for moral support. But it was kind of hard not to stare at him with stars in my eyes when he held my hand.

He sat up straighter, and his hand tightened in mine. The woman’s dark eyes narrowed. Obviously, she didn’t approve of the blatant PDA. I opened my grip to let Peter know it was okay to let go, and he pulled my hand into his lap.

Peter might be humble, but that word doesn’t exist in my vocabulary so I have no problems recognizing his greatness.

Peter slumped against the wall. I caught him, and he melted against me. His breath came out, and his entire body shook from anger, sorrow ... definitely sorrow. Then a sob, a real—from the toes, maybe even from the soul—sob burst out of his chest.

And since it’s no big secret that I’ve been in love with Peter Forbes since the fifth grade, hurting him was a surefire stake to the middle of my little black heart.

‘Cause as long as he was under their thumb, Peter couldn’t be happy. Simply because he couldn’t be Peter.

“You aren’t mad at me for not telling you?”
I held him tighter. “Never.”
“Why not?”
“No room.”
Pete’s head turned and he looked at me. This close our eyelashes brushed and we
exchanged each other’s exhale. “No room?”
“Yeah, I love you too much for anything else to fit.”