julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Into Deep Waters (Love is Always Write) - Kaje Harper I'm not really sure where to begin. This was the kind of story that makes you believe in hope and goodness and the ability of love to truly conquer all.

Knowing from the prompt that these two spend their whole life together enabled me to relax and enjoy the story without having to worry about how it would end. I think I'd've had several heart-attacks if that weren't the case. The bit in the ocean, especially! Even knowing that they both HAVE to survive, because they're still together 70 years later, I was fretting and biting my nails...

That said, enjoying the story was easy. Each glimpse we got into the lives of these two men was special and beautiful and remarkable. The story would have been fantastic enough just getting to see them get together as young sailors, but then getting to see glimpses of how they're doing decades in the future, right up until the glorious ending... there aren't really words for how amazing it was to get to accompany them on that journey.

Some favorite quotes

If the guy really was that green, the next few months were going to knock the shine off him in pretty painful ways.

Suddenly this felt more necessary than breath.

Jacob looked up then and fount Daniel's attention on him. And for a moment, Jacob's eyes just lit up. Daniel had always thought that was just a figure of speech, something the writers of dime novels put in to sound fancy. But the way Jacob's face went from dull fatigue to just bright and shining... holy God.

"This is just a hallucination, you know." His voice was harsh and he coughed drily. "The sun. You're not really here."
"I'm hallucinating too, then."
"Nice to go crazy with company."

"Although I'm going to change her name."
"She's an adult cat. Isn't it a little late for that?"
Daniel grinned at him. "Trip, she's a cat. She doesn't care. She's never, ever going to answer to it anyway, even if we call her Your Highness."

"You are such a cynic."
"You're such a romantic."
"Yeah. Isn't diversity grand?"