julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Auspicious Troubles of Chance - Charlie Cochet I was initially drawn to this because of the title. It has to rank in at least my top 5 favorite titles of all time.

I love that the book itself lived up to the title! This story is the most comforting of comfort reads. Much of it is set in the desert (Chance joins the French Foreign Legion in the 1920's) and the setting there is fantastically well described. Chance complains of getting too much sun, but the heat never felt oppressive, just warm and bright and open and sunny.

Adding to that were Chance's descriptions of Jacky: bright, shining, haloed, glowing. So the setting plus Jacky combined to make the whole book seem like this delightful warm hug. Or the perfect warm drink when coming in from the cold. It just couldn't have been a better counterpoint to the rainiest weekend in Phoenix in like 50 years or something.

There wasn't really any angst, there weren't really any villains to fight, and only one semi-catastrophe (which we knew already would all work out okay anyway), even the relationship between Jacky and Chance was never really in question because Jacky pursued him so thoroughly. Just a beautiful, delightfully-narrated, wonderfully-written comfort read about a young man learning to trust again, and learning to believe he's worthy of being loved.

Beautiful, beautiful book. Without question, one of my new go-to comfort reads. Certainly my new #1 comfort read for cold, rainy days.

Some favorite quotes:

They lived for the moment, making the most of every day with the belief that all good things must come to an end. When that end came, they could look back and be content that they had lived, truly lived.

Was I confused when I started finding the fellas more attractive than the dames? Sure I was. Did I feel bad or guilty about it? Hell no. Why? Because I had never been taught to feel that way about it.

I figured the world was a dreadful, wicked place, and I never wanted to know another human being ever again.

"But it's my job to help you put the pieces back together, not crush them further under the heel of my boot."

It was nice not to be alone, even if it meant sharing a small box with a claustrophobic lunatic.

"Are you telling me you've never had the pleasure of giving someone a charley horse?" he asked.
Fountain of useless knowledge, he was. I shook my head and massaged my leg. "Why on earth would I? It's horrible."
"It's funny."
"No. It's not."
"You're just saying that because you're on the receiving end. I assure you," he said with that cocky grin, "it's quite funny."

"I know how extraordinary you are. You just need a bit of guidance, that's all."

He had this unbelievable way of making me feel frightfully hopeful, like everything that had happened to me had never actually happened, like I was clean and pure and worthy of him.

My body responded to his touch as if it had always belonged to him.

I almost felt like a better man when he held me.

"I won't give up on you. Maybe one day, when you feel yourself worthy of being loved, you might love me in return, but right now?" He kissed my lips gently. "Right now, I'll settle for just having you in my arms."

So what if the whole damn legion thought I was nuts? A good part of me thought I was nuts too. I could deal with that.

The world had turned its back on them, treated them damned appallingly, and left them all balled up inside. But despite all that, they hadn't lost their faith that things could be better.