julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Sport of Kings - Livia Ellis What the blurb doesn't say is that most of this story is told in flashbacks. We first meet Marcus watching Alejandro warming up before a match, and then Marcus tells us they've been broken up for 6 months and we have a flashback--told in the present tense--of when they were together.

I was okay up to that point, in spite of the flashback and the present tense. What we find out when we come back to the present is that they broke up because Marcus cheated on Alejandro. AND THE NEXT FLASHBACK IS OF MARCUS WITH THE MARRIED COUPLE HE CHEATED WITH! Eew! No! Not only do I hate reading about cheaters, never ever would I be interested in reading about the actual cheating! (It isn't clear if the scene we get of Marcus with Olga and her husband is the actual cheating scene or just a random scene of them when they used to play together... whichever it is, I had NO interest in reading it!)

In spite of that, I hate giving up on books, so I picked it back up and gave it another shot. Marcus was just too irredeemably horrible.