julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Fire's Stone - Tanya Huff I think I went into this with my expectations a little too high. It had been billed as a great fantasy novel with gay main characters, and I'm afraid I didn't find that accurate.

It had the makings of a great fantasy novel. And it had the makings of a great romance. I suppose it just never all came together for me the way I was hoping.

Perhaps part of the problem was the pacing. It seemed like things were happening so fast that they were never adequately explained. For example, the soul-bond or w/e it's called that they put on Darvish and Aaron to keep Aaron from running away. I would have LOVED an explanation of what this was exactly instead of having to figure it out for myself as I went along and got teensy clues. I wasn't sure when it was first put on if it were an actual physical bond or not, because we're never provided a description and it says something about Aaron reaching for it.

There were several other things, as well, that could have benefited from slowing down and exploring them a little more in-depth.

And the characters themselves. I do appreciate that they all had weaknesses to overcome, and I cheered as much as anyone (I hope) as they all worked toward and eventually overcame them. But I found the continual dwelling on these weaknesses--to the point where that's just about all I knew about the characters--to be thoroughly off-putting. Like, I get that Darvish is an alcoholic. But that's not honestly ALL he is, is it? Show me something else about him! Make me care about him, not just be beat over the head by his alcoholism every time I'm in his head.

Whew, okay. That turned into more of a rant than I'd anticipated. This was still an enjoyable fantasy read, just not quite as enjoyable as I'd hoped or as it could have been.