julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare - Stephen Greenblatt This book just had a really interesting premise. Instead of being just another biography of Shakespeare, this attempt to chronicle his life looked at the world in which Shakespeare lived and the influence that that world had on the playwright's works.

The author takes a very systematic approach to these things, examining certain well-known aspects of Shakespeare's life and outlining evidence in various of the plays which shows the influence that these aspects had on his work.

My one reservation with the book is that there was a remarkable amount of speculation that, while confessed as speculation, was often treated with the same degree of credulity as the well-established facts of Shakespeare's life.