julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Singing Alone - Jennifer Cierra I'm really not a fan of cheaters, and don't enjoy reading about people cheating. So, I had a very difficult time not just hating Cole. I think the fact he's miserable in his marriage is supposed to make him sympathetic, and perhaps it might have if he'd done something about his misery FIRST before having sex with someone he thought at the time was a prostitute.

I'm not sure how much it says about the characters that I come away from this and the only one I found remotely sympathetic was Joy, the wife. Her line when Cole asks if her baby is his is perhaps one of my favorite said-by-a-female lines in m/m. I love that she stands up both for herself and for her baby all at once. "No.... Because who cares whose sperm started her life? In all the ways that matter, Cole, she's mine." Beautiful!

So, because I liked Joy and loved that statement, the story gets two stars. Cole and Jake weren't likeable enough on their own to even rate 1.