julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The White Giraffe - Lauren St. John This was good. If I were reading it purely for personal enjoyment, I'd even say it was REALLY good. The descriptions of the landscape, the people, and the animals of South Africa were breathtaking. And Martine as the MC was sympathetic and was a lovely person to get to follow through the country and her adventures there.

What keeps me from being able to be that enthusiastic about it, however, is that I'm left confused as to the target audience. We actually experience the fire that kills Martine's parents along with her, narrowly escaping through her bedroom window. That scene came across as just much to frightening and horrible to be in a children's book.

And then once Martine gets to South Africa, she lives with her grandmother on a wildlife game reserve. One of the workers, Tendai, is Zulu, and he tells Martine about how he got some of the scars on his back by being beaten by a white policeman with a grudge. Again, just too much horrible to be in a children's book.

So, while I personally enjoyed accompanying Martine on her adventures with Jeremiah, I'm afraid I don't think I can recommend this to my students.