julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Bond - Anna Fugazzi Wow, this was long. But not at all in a bad way. More in a fantastically-detailed, well-thought-out, took-time-for-character-development sort of way.

I read another review that said this was rather like one of the real books in that it didn't focus solely on the slash relationship, but it actually had a plot and introduced a problem that was solved by the end. That was indeed the case, and it made this great good fun to read.

I especially liked that we got to follow both Harry and Draco into each others' common rooms and dormitories. Those bits of the books where the characters are relaxing in the Gryffindor common room are some of the most enjoyable, and these were similar. It was especially fascinating to get to see more of what being a Slytherin is all about, and so, so fun to get to see some of Harry's Slytherinness coming out.

Another reviewer mentioned that she liked that the curse didn't turn into a ridiculous case of insta-love or even insta-sex and that it felt more true to the characters that way and I have to agree completely. That was part of the fun of this plot: getting to imagine how these characters really would act under these circumstances.

There was so much I liked about this story, but I think one of my absolute favorites is the epilogue. Seeing Harry and Draco flying again, and how happy they both are at the result of that Quidditch match... /happy sigh.

4.5 stars, rounded up for pure awesomeness

Some Favorite Quotes:
You are just feigning abject stupidity, right? To fool the rest of us into a false sense of superiority?"

"Please. They're Gryffindors. Their idea of a dastardly plot is 'let's work really hard and endanger our lives for no good reason'."

Although, come to think of it, Malfoys weren't terribly fearless, when you came down to it. Astute and cunning and calculating, yes, but they usually preferred to leave fearlessness to lesser, more expendable people - like, say, Gryffindors.

"Go to hell," Draco hissed.
"Already there, thanks."

It had to do with the two of them overcoming everything they were up against and being able to build something together. Something bloody amazing.

A lot of what he was feeling was only due to the bond spell, he tried to remind himself firmly. Just a spell. The feelings of trust and tenderness and togetherness - yes, they felt wonderful and genuine, but they didn't necessarily mean anything. He and Malfoy might be spouses, but they were not really friends, not really lovers. All of this could very well wear off eventually. It could.
But in the meantime... it felt unbelievable.

"And stop looking at Malfoy like he's done something wrong," he said to the table in general. Malfoy looked up at him, startled, and Harry decided he'd had enough.

"No," Malfoy murmured. "No, don't - you don't have to get off, you're not that heavy."
"I'm not crushing you?"
"No. Just feels warm. Nice," Malfoy murmured sleepily. "Like I'm safe."

Oh, god, he was home.

"Mr. Potter, is there something you would like to share with the class, or should I just take ten points from Gryffindor?"
"No sir," Harry said. "I mean, yes sir. Sorry." He turned to his notes and elbowed Malfoy lightly. "See?" he murmured. "He still hates me more than you. Isn't that worth a smile?"
And Malfoy gave a small chuckle before bending his head back to his work.

Absolutely no clue on his face that he was inwardly demanding an explanation of himself as to what the fuck was wrong with him.

"If I may make a comment," Dumbledore said mildly. "I would like to remind all of you that every student here is under the protection of the school. Any persons contemplating harming a student under the misapprehension that they will suffer no consequences for that act should be aware that, whether or not they have to answer to that student's family, they will have to answer to me."

There was a brief pause. Then, from the Gryffindor table, a firm voice added, "And to me."

and Draco please if you're going to defend your father again kindly do it where I won't have to toss up my lunch on you, there's a good boy

Harry winced, abruptly realizing the depth of his tactlessness. He would make a list, he promised himself fervently. Stupid, Stupid Things I Have Said To People I Fancy. He would read it every single night, and perhaps that would inspire him to think before he spoke, so that he could stop adding to it.

It all came down to a choice.

"You're really-" Harry began.

"Yes, for God's sake. Now listen up, because I'm only ever going to say this once." He took a deep breath and began, gazing steadily into Harry's eyes.

I bond myself to you. I give you all that I am, for the rest of our lives.
I bond myself to you. I do so freely, and with no regrets.
I bond myself to you, because I wish to spend my life with you.
I bond myself to you, because I love you.
I bond myself to you.

There was a profound stillness as he finished, and he could feel Pansy and Granger and Weasley's incredulous stares, but they didn't matter. What mattered was that Harry was gazing at him in awe, his mouth hanging slightly open and his face gradually losing its unhealthy pallor, and a trickle of his emotions was starting to flow from him to Draco.

"There. D'you believe me now, you stupid git?" But he didn't really need to ask the question, Draco realized, as the trickle of emotions became a torrent - a lot of very strong feelings Draco really couldn't sort out, with his own in such an uproar, but looming large among them was stunned wonder as he realized how Draco felt about him.

"I... I guess so," Harry said unsteadily.

"Granger," Draco nodded at their hands, still clasped together. "Do the-"

"No wait," said Harry, and Draco blew out his breath impatiently. "Ron, can you tilt the book this way?"

"You don't have to say anything, the bond's already become active again-"

"I know, but I'm not going to get married twice without saying a word," Harry said a little waspishly, and nodded at Weasley to hold the book so he could see it. He took a steadying breath, and began the incantation.

I bond myself to you. I give you all that I am, for the rest of our lives.
I bond myself to you. I-

Harry paused, looked up at the Truthlight, gave Draco a rueful smile. "I don't do so freely. But I would if I could, with no regrets." And he grinned, apparently catching Draco's shock as the Truthlight shone on without a flicker.

I bond myself to you, because I wish to spend my life with you.
I bond myself to you, because I love you.
I bond myself to you.

They all let out their breaths, and Draco nodded at Granger. She pointed her wand at their wrists.

"Lux Vinculum," she said softly, and the band of knotwork appeared, shining brightly around both of their wrists. Draco squeezed Harry's hand, a tight feeling in his chest as Harry's eyes filled with tears, and ran his free hand up to Harry's cheek, suddenly at a complete loss for words.