julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first one, but probably only because I was less familiar with the beings/creatures/monsters Percy encounters in the first half of the story. It was still fantastically creative and delightfully fun to read.

I enjoyed the new character Tyson, and I loved the progression of the way Percy treats him. I appreciate that it took Percy time to come to terms with everything and it always felt natural and honest.

My absolute favorite part was with Polyphemus, the Cyclops. His island was perfectly vividly described, the man-eating sheep were hilarious, and the way Annabeth and Percy tried fooling Polyphemus by using Odysseus's trick of calling himself "Nobody" totally had me laughing. Delightfully well done.

Favorite Quotes:
When you think "monster island" you think craggy rocks and bones scattered on the beach like the island of the Sirens.
The Cyclops's island was nothing like that. I mean, okay, it had a rope bridge across a chasm, which was not a good sign. You might as well put up a billboard that said, SOMETHING EVIL LIVES HERE."

Hermes shrugged. "Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy."