julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Follow My Leader - James B. Garfield This totally reminded me of one of those black and white short films that were mocked sometimes on MST3K before the real movie. Everyone is perfect, and those who sometimes aren't learn their lessons and become perfect. However, with the MST3K guys riffing the worst parts along with me in my head, I was actually able to enjoy this.

It was interesting to get to accompany Jimmy as he learned to deal with his blindness. It was fascinating to learn about both how he was able to get around with his cane and then about the process of applying for and obtaining a guide dog.

And I did appreciate (with some good-natured sarcastic mockery) that his friends went through the process with him so I was able to see things from their perspective as well.

This is another one I'm looking forward to recommending to my students. When we do our unit on light and optics, there are always some who have endless questions about being blind. This will be a fantastic book for them to read to get some answers.

Favorite Quotes:
Sirius wove in and out among the people on the sidewalk. He would see an opening and make for it, judging the space so accurately that Jimmy never bumped into anyone. If a group was blocking the sidewalk, Sirius put his nose against the calf of a leg and pushed. Looking down, the person would see the large dog and step aside quickly, making a clear path.
Jimmy didn't know why he could walk down a crowded sidewalk and have so much room. One day Mr. Weeks told Jimmy what was happening. "Don't let your dog crowd through people, Mr. Carter," he added, "or you will become unpopular."
"How can I stop him?" Jimmy asked.
"I guess you'll have to teach him manners," Mr. Weeks answered.
"He's got manners, Mr. Weeks, but they're bad." Jimmy grinned.