julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Secret of the Old Clock - Russell H. Tandy, Sara Paretsky, Carolyn Keene Nancy Drew is certainly quite a girl! Catches thieves, fixes boat motors, befriends elderly women, changes tires, and provides Italian opera teachers for her new friends all while solving a mystery.

Once I settled into the archaic style and resigned myself to Nancy being fantastically talented at everything--and looking impeccably stylish while doing it--I thoroughly enjoyed this story. There were several different adventures here that I got to go on with Nancy, and it was like a fascinating trip back in time.

I can see both why these were so popular when they were first released and why they've continued to be popular since. I'll definitely have these in my classroom library for my students to read (although sentences like "I must be subtle in this maneuver to keep from arousing the Tophams' suspicions!" may be daunting to some of them... :P).