julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Savvy - Ingrid Law What a fantastic book! Entertaining, intriguing, exciting, thought-provoking and heartwarming. It's very clear why this one is a Newberry winner.

I was entertained right from the start. The narrator, Mibs, is endearing and has a fascinating voice. I was intrigued as I got to learn about all of the special abilities or savvies that the various Beaumont family members have or have had in the past. I loved that this wasn't just another X-men remake set in the rural mid-west, but that each of the abilities was fresh and new (and sometimes hilarious).

I think my favorite thing about this was the message contained in Mibs's determination to not listen to negative voices--whether inside her head or outside of it. I thought Lester and his tattoos were fantastically written as an example of what happens when those negative voices take over. His liberation from them was wonderfully done--perfectly paced and wonderfully clear. I just think this message is such an important one for kids as they're learning to navigate an often-turbulent social environment.

I can't wait to share this with my students!

Favorite Quotes:
The itch and scritch of birthday buzz was about all I was feeling on the Thursday before the Friday before the Saturday I turned thirteen.

He struck me as a fellow whose gears might turn a big slower than those of other folks, a man whose thinking cap had gotten shrunk in the wash and now fit his brain a notch too tight.

but I suppose you never can tell right off who might have a piece of Prince Charming deep down inside.

You never can tell when a bad thing might make a good thing happen. I realized that good and bad were always there and always mixed up together in a tangle.

The afternoon sky, arcing blue as cornflowers over the town

When something like that comes along, whether it's an accident or a savvy or a very first kiss, life takes a turn and you can't step back. All you can do is keep moving forward and remember what you've learned.