julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues - Donald J. Sobol, Leonard W. Shortall This one was disappointing. First because many of the "mysteries" in it weren't solve-able unless you knew some obscure facts like that a brick of gold weighs 300 pounds or even less-obscure ones (but likely still unknown to children) like that dogs are color blind.

This one also seemed terribly racist. I understand that it was first published in 1966 and it might be a good opportunity to have a discussion with my students about how attitudes and perceptions change over time, but it was still enough to make me uncomfortable.

(There's the one Latino child in the neighborhood, who apparently only speaks Spanish, and who hosts a bullfight in which his dog with knives strapped to his head is the bull.

And then there's the "Indian Trials" that the town holds to see who can ride with the mayor in the parade.

And then we progress from racism to simple bigotry with the lovely declaration by Police Chief Brown that "Actors aren't like other people.... They don't care about what is right or wrong as long as they get attention.")

I did like one of the cases here which was solve-able through simple logic, but the rest of this one was a disappointment.