julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Wishing Spell - Chris Colfer, Brandon Dorman I suppose I also need to begin by saying that I adore Chris Colfer, and so perhaps expected more from this than I ought to have. But there's no rule that being a talented actor and delightful person automatically makes you a good author.

I couldn't help but wonder as I read this if it had been edited. Copy edited, obviously, as there were few mistakes, but content edited... I have to agree with the reviewer who said that if there was an editor, it was likely a cat with narcolepsy.

The characters were all just so flat. Alex the perfect student who can't relate to her peers, Connor the slacker who thinks ancient history should be punished for being boring instead of him for falling asleep, the teacher whose face is frozen in a scowl from all the years of glaring at students, the purely-good grandmother, and then all of the fairy princesses... /sigh. and /grumble.

There were a few times I wanted to cheer when Mr. Colfer said something about how the versions of the fairy tales made popular by movies aren't the "real" versions... but then he goes and gives us the exact same ridiculously-cliched versions of the princesses brought to us by Disney. The only differences were Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood. Goldilocks was my favorite character for much of the story, because she defied her cliches and was pursuing a path so different from the other characters. But then when she finds out the truth about her past, she devolves into impotent name-calling and hair-pulling.

Oh, and Red Riding Hood... ugh. Don't even get me started. Shallow, trampy, bimbo, airhead. In a story that was supposed to reset the Disney cliches of princesses, this actually took those cliches to a whole new level of awfulness. And to have her end up with the "good guys" group at the end! With her sights set on poor Froggy! NO!

There were still several entertaining scenes here, and some interesting insights. But on the whole, I was disappointed.