julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Rascal - Sterling North, John Schoenherr What a delightful book! Sterling North's memoir of May 1918 - April 1919 follows an 11 year old Sterling's adventures with his pet raccoon, Rascal. Rascal is adorable and hilarious and I'm sure my students will come to adore him every bit as much as I did. My favorite scene was the first time Rascal is given a sugar cube and he tries to wash it in his bowl of milk. When the sugar dissolves, Rascal spends a few minutes trying to figure out where it went. So, so cute!

But beneath the layer of adorable raccoonness, there's so much more here. Mr. North shares what it was like to worry over a brother fighting in Europe, neighbors arguing over horse and carriage vs. automobile and even racing the two, living through the Spanish Influenza outbreak, growing up without a mother and with a frequently-absent father.

Touching and insightful and also a magnificent tribute to the beauty of a pure and unspoiled wilderness, this was a remarkable story!

Favorite Quote:
I think I learned more about the orderly universe sitting in my garden picking beans than I ever did on a hard church pew listening to Reverend Hooton's sermons.