julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Soup - Robert Newton Peck When I was eight years old, my family moved to a new state. The biggest tragedy of this for me was that I was part-way through a series of books that my old school's library had. My new school's library not only didn't have them, but had a librarian who looked at me funny for even asking. That series was the Soup books by Robert Newton Peck, and I never did get to finish reading them all.

I'd forgotten about this until a few weeks ago when searching for more books to add to my classroom library. I bought the first books used from Amazon (technology that lets us get books that are not longer in publication is fantastic!) and just re-read the first one.

Every bit as fun as I'd remembered from when I was eight! Soup is a mischievous, rambunctious, good-hearted best friend to the narrator Rob (younger, fictionalized? version of the author). The chapter where Rob rolls down the hill in the barrel had me honestly laughing out loud.

What I hadn't remembered (and which makes me feel rather old...) were that the word "ass" is used twice and "arse" once. There are at least two references to peeing, and two to taking your pants down. Perhaps I've just made myself hypersensitive as I try to avoid things that would made my students or their parents uncomfortable to read, but those things make me unsure if I should add this to my classroom library or not.

Either way, I'm so glad I finally found these books again and that I'm getting the chance to re-read and finally finish the series after all these years!