julesmarie

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Winter of the Ice Wizard - Mary Pope Osborne, Sal Murdocca 3.5 stars

This was only my second Magic Tree House book I've read, and I was a little let down after how surprised I was at how good the first one I read was.

The illustrations were still fantastic as in the other one. However, the other thing I loved about that was that it seemed as historically accurate as is possible for a children's fantasy story to be.

Perhaps it's because I accidentally read the author's note before reading the story that I was so disappointed. In that note, she mentions being inspired by Norse mythology as she wrote this, especially by Odin and the Norns. I suppose that, after that, I'd been expecting something rather more Norse-mythology-like than I got when I actually read the story.

Jack and Annie were still delightful protagonists, ordinary children to whom the reader can relate, who can accomplish extraordinary things. And who learn about things like friendship and courage and trust and forgiveness.