julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson - Ann McGovern, Harold Goodwin This came across as very odd to me.

It's so short, with so many facts thrown in that it didn't feel like a story at all, more a summary of her life. Which, given the intended audience, seems rather an odd approach, as even to me the dry tone was uninteresting.

However, in among the plain list of facts were a few attempts to guess at what Deborah Sampson's emotions might have been over certain events. For example: "Deborah loved her kind cousin. Miss Fuller taught her how to spin and weave, and how to make bread. Best of all were the wonderful hours of reading lessons... For three years Deborah was happy." Which attempts at making this a "story" and not just a summary just came across as condescending.

Also, there were a few events included in the story that seemed rather too mature for the intended audience. The most vivid being the detailed description of Deborah using her knife to dig a bullet out of her own leg so that doctors wouldn't find out she's a girl.

So, I suppose by odd I mean contradictory. The dry facts presented in a condescending tone interspersed with too-graphic details makes me wonder just who the intended audience might be. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel having this in my classroom library.