julesmarie

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Underneath - Kathi Appelt, David Small Some Favorite Quotes:

Cats are famous for purring. And this is what the calico cat did as she curled up next to Ranger's massive chest, safe and soft. Until he heard it, Ranger had not realized how much he needed this sweet, friendly sound. How much he needed someone to settle in next to him. He didn't know that he needed to not be solitary until at last he wasn't.

His heart pounded in a drumbeat of hunger, of pain, of want, of furious want. He couldn't swallow for want of air. Couldn't see for want of light. Couldn't stop for want of want. He was want crystallized in the shape of a damaged boy.

Purring is not so different from praying. To a tree, a cat's purr is one of the purest of all prayers, for in it lies a whole mixture of gratitude and longing, the twin ingredients of every prayer.

How do any of us know these things? It could be that somehow, if we stand still long enough, we can actually hear the trees and understand their messages. It could be that the light from the sun slips down at a certain slant so as to fill us in. Maybe it's just that love has its own way of informing us when loss is at hand.

A dog who has been true to those he loved, and even the one he didn't, who did his job without complaint, should have some comfort in the midst of so much misery. Such a dog is worthy of this much. Of something sweet. When Sabine saw that Gar Face was sound asleep, she slipped out from her hiding place and curled up under one of Ranger's long silky ears. She purred to him as hard as she could. She licked the side of his soft face, licked the blood off his nose, she put her nose next to his nose. She loved him as hard as she could. With all her might, she loved Ranger.