julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
The Ancient Romans (People of the Ancient World) - Allison Lassieur I was most fascinated by the approach that Ms. Lassieur took in this book to giving an introduction to Rome. I've seen chronological approaches, and categorical approaches (people, buildings, events), but this is the first time I've seen a people-based approach.

The chapters are divided among different professions, classes, and there's even a chapter about the lives of Roman women. From this perspective, then, Ms. Lassieur goes on to cover all of the same basic, important information as in other books, just in a delightful new way. The three phases of government, for example, are seen through the lens of the first chapter, "The Rulers of Rome." Very interesting.

I did also enjoy the small photographs of statues or buildings or mosaics which helped illustrate various topics being discussed.