julesmarie

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Shakespeare After All
Marjorie Garber
Usborne Internet-Linked Romans. Anthony Marks and Graham Tingay - Anthony Marks, Graham Tingay, Ian Jackson, Gerald Wood This is my favorite of the informational texts on Ancient Rome aimed at children that I've yet discovered. There is not a lot of depth to be found here, but the breadth of information covered is fantastic! As a brief introduction to the various topics, this book is pitch perfect.

There is just enough information given to provide a basic understanding of life in Ancient Rome, with details and illustrations provided for everything from food, clothing and houses/apartments to government, the military, and daily life. Not to mention facts about entertainment, money, education, farming, medicine and technology.

One of my favorite things, though, is that there is information here which I've not found in any of the other children's books. The pages about the festivals alone make this book absolutely worth the price. I used so many of the illustrations in class and several of my students also were able to use this book to jump start their research projects.